"Blessed is the one who finds wisdom, and the one who gets understanding, for the gain from her is better than gain from silver and her profit better than gold." Proverbs 3:13-14
If you were given the choice between wisdom or riches what would you choose? Oddly enough when I came into the office this morning I found out that an acquaintance of mine just won 1.5 million dollars in the lottery. What an interesting position to find oneself. Certainly this will require of this couple a tremendous amount of wisdom. Will their new found treasure be brought into submission to the wisdom they have gained in following Christ for many years? Thankfully I believe this couple will be found faithful.
This past week the readings have taken us through Proverbs chapter 3. Wisdom is spoken of as a valuable treasure. Do you think of wisdom as a great treasure? What is wisdom? According to this passage the source of wisdom and knowledge is the Lord. Further, in v. 1 of this chapter it is the Bible's teaching and commandments where we find wisdom. I'm reminded that my own knowledge, my own perspective, and my own thoughts are totally insufficient to guide me. I need the Lord and His Word to lead me along straight paths. I need His Word to know what is right and best for my life.
Emily Smethurst, 4th term captain at Lake Gloria, recently wrote:
This year at camp God really revealed to me how alive His Word is. Many times I just read it, maybe think about it for a minute, then move on with my day. I really feel like God has opened my eyes to how His words are absolutely amazing, God-breathed and inerrant. When I started to read scripture with new eyes, really thinking about what the words mean to me instead of just skimming through, I was hit in the face with reminders of how worthy God is of my worship and further reminded of how undeserving I am of His grace.
We cannot find wisdom unless we are reading God's Word. We cannot enjoy the gain, the treasure, the profit of wisdom unless we are reading our Bibles. I'm reminded today and inspired to continue to pursue God even more fervently through the Scriptures.
No comments:
Post a Comment