It wouldn’t surprise me to hear that TV viewership goes down
during an election year. I say that because I can’t be the only one who
despises political campaign commercials.
Yes, they are incessant and repetitive, but the thing that really gets
to me is the pie in the sky promises of good.
I heard one the other day that communicated that under Candidate A’s
leadership, services would be protected and expanded, jobs would be created,
the deficit would be reduced, our borders would be strengthened, etc., etc., all
while taxes would be reduced. He should
have just thrown in the promise to end world hunger and all children would grow
up to be professional athletes. The sad
thing is, this tactic works. It’s how
you get people to follow you. So much
good with apparently no cost to anyone.
So when I read Luke 14:25-35, where Jesus tells those who
are following him that they must hate their families, their own life, and pick
up there cross and follow Him in order to be His disciple...
I wonder if Jesus understands politics. Where are the endless promises for free? What do you mean I have to change the way I think about others and myself? What do you mean that I need to lose my life? No doubt some people who were following Jesus at this point left and returned to their old way of life.
I wonder if Jesus understands politics. Where are the endless promises for free? What do you mean I have to change the way I think about others and myself? What do you mean that I need to lose my life? No doubt some people who were following Jesus at this point left and returned to their old way of life.
Jesus wanted it to be very clear that being his disciple was
going to cost us something. It is going
to cost us our desire to be in ultimate control over our own life. What we want for us, for the sake of us,
needs to be thrown out. To be Christ’s disciple
we must first consider the cost. So
often we try to follow Christ but find that what he calls us to is in
contradiction to our old sinful nature.
Let us not be foolish in thinking that we can hold onto that old stuff
and yet gain Christ. When following
Christ gets hard and trials and persecution come let us not be surprised. It is part of the cost of a life in Christ.
Here is the really good news though. The cost of following Christ is insignificant
in scope to what we gain. What we think
we have to give up is really nothing at all.
Jim Elliot the well-known missionary martyr once said, “He is no fool who
gives up what he cannot keep to gain that he cannot lose.” Any comfort, pleasure, security, reward that
can be attained in this world is mud and rubbish compared to a relationship
with the one true God, the King of kings.
May we consider the cost of our discipleship and be reminded that it is
large in our eyes but small from an eternal perspective.
Jesus said, “For whoever wants to save his life will lose
it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it.” – Mark
8:35
-SH
No comments:
Post a Comment