In Judges chapter 6:11-16 we read that God calls Gideon to be a leader for his people. The Lord says, "Go in this might of yours and save Israel from the hand of Midian; do not I send you?" The Israelites are under the oppression of the Midianite people and God has chosen Gideon to step up. I love Gideon's response. "No way! Not me! I'm just the weak, little guy in my family." This is my paraphrase...take a look at verses 15 for his actual words. Do you ever feel this way? Do you ever feel like with all your weaknesses and failures there is no way God could use you for big purposes? Perhaps God would say the same thing to you as He said to Gideon. "But I will be with you." When God through His Word or a sermon preached convicts you to take action in some area of your life, He will be with you all the way.
Check out verse 27. Gideon was afraid. Most times when God has called me to take action on something in my life, I can think of plenty of reasons not to obey. Usually these reasons are related to fears. I'm afraid of what people might do, what they might think, how they will react, etc. I'm encouraged that Gideon is a lot like me. I'm challenged by the fact that he takes action in spite of his fears. I'm also encouraged that God was gracious enough to let him do it at night. Read verse 25. Knowing Gideon's fears, God gave him the command at night. He did not challenge Gideon beyond what he could do. You may feel weak. You may be little. You may be filled with anxiety and fear. You may feel like a pipsqueak just as Gideon did. Don't let that stop you from being obedient to what God has placed on your heart to do.
"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9
No comments:
Post a Comment