“Sovereign Lord, as you have promised,
you may now dismiss your servant in peace.
For my eyes have seen your salvation,
which you have prepared in the sight of all nations:
a light for revelation to the Gentiles,
and the glory of your people Israel.” Luke 2:29-32
you may now dismiss your servant in peace.
For my eyes have seen your salvation,
which you have prepared in the sight of all nations:
a light for revelation to the Gentiles,
and the glory of your people Israel.” Luke 2:29-32
Do you remember the
joy of “seeing” the salvation of the Lord for the first time? Experiencing the love of God in the
gift of His Son’s life, death and resurrection is freeing, humbling and
exciting. The account of Simeon in
Luke 2 is a great reminder to me of what it looks like to joyfully respond to
the great gift of salvation by grace through faith in Jesus. We read in vv. 25-26 that Simeon had
been anticipating this day in the temple for some time, not knowing when God’s
promise might be fulfilled.
"He was waiting for
the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him. It had been
revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not die before he had seen the
Lord's Christ." (2:25-26)
Maybe you “waited”
expectantly or may even still be waiting for the Lord to open your eyes to the
reality of salvation through Jesus.
This day the Holy Spirit nudges Simeon (and maybe is nudging you), and
Simeon has “ears to hear” to the voice of the Spirit. We read that,
"Moved by the Spirit,
he went into the temple courts. When the parents brought in the child Jesus to
do for him what the custom of the Law required, Simeon took him in his arms and
praised God, saying...." (2:27-28)
As I read this
story again, I had to pause there and ask myself if I am attuned to the Spirit
in this way. Do I listen daily to
the Lord as I read scripture and as I pray? Even more so … If I do have “ears to hear”, am I obeying Him
and walking in step with his Spirit.
For Simeon, it seemed natural to follow the lead of the Spirit and this
day his following led to a remarkable encounter. I would encourage you to pray for “eyes to see” and “ears to
hear” this week … and may the Spirit nudge you to follow.
If you have the time,
Google “Simeon’s Song by Michael Card”.
I’m reminded of a line in that song as the lyrics build to the chorus …
“Simeon takes the boy (in his arms) and starts to sing.” What a wonderful picture of rejoicing
in the sovereignty and wonder of God!
May you encounter Jesus this week in a way that makes you rejoice … even
break into song! :) - KB
No comments:
Post a Comment