As I looked ahead at the verses for this week’s readings, one sentence hit me like a ton of bricks. It’s found in Matthew chapter 26, the second half of verse 56, “…Then all the disciples left him and fled.” I definitely would not want that to be written about me for future generations to see!
Here we see a posse rolling up on Jesus and his close followers. These followers were not half-hearted “fans” of Christ. They were the men that had left their jobs, left their families, given up everything they knew as comfortable to follow this unique teacher who called them. They had spent several years traveling around to numerous towns, listening to His teaching, and watching Him perform many miracles. They weren’t sissies either. Several were tough and brave sailors of Galilee. There was Matthew, who had no doubt developed a thick skin as he faced ridicule, insults, and probably threats from his fellow countrymen as he collected taxes for the Romans. One of them even drew a sword, striking the servant of the high priest and cutting off his ear.
So why did these tough guys ‘get going’ and flee? Was it because of their lack of commitment to Jesus? I don’t think so. The other place we see the phrase “all the disciples” in this chapter is in verse 35 when Peter says,
“Even if I must die with you, I will not deny you!" And all the disciples said the same.
These men were at least verbally committed to die with Christ if the need arose. Apparently talk is cheap because the need arose, and everyone hightailed it out of there, leaving their teacher and Lord to fend for Himself against the armed mob.
Let’s not be too hard on these disciples. If we take a look at our own lives, don’t we find that we often do the same thing, “checking” Jesus at the door as we enter certain venues? Staying quiet as others speak the Lord’s name out of anger or disgust? Skipping out on worship and fellowship at church for a more ‘exciting’ opportunity of the day? Why are these things so? Is it because of our lack of commitment to Jesus? I don’t think so. Many of us have made public professions that we’ll follow Christ no matter what the price.
I think the answer is found in verse 41 “The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.” I’d like to think that if Peter and the others had actually stayed awake and prayed for power from on high that they would’ve gained both power for their bodies, but more importantly, peace for their spirits.
How about you? Have you prayed for the LORD to give you boldness as you face temptations and opposition to you faith? Ask Him today for strength in your “flesh” to honor Him, and hold Him up as the source of every good thing in your life. JS
No comments:
Post a Comment