There are slow eaters in life and there are those who
inhale food like a vacuum cleaner. When homemade cherry pie is on my plate, I tend
toward the vacuum. As a result,
the taste of my food is hardly noticed.
The very pie that I love and was so excited to eat disappeared with
little satisfaction.
I think David had similar thoughts when it comes to
partaking in God’s goodness in these words from Psalm 34:8. “Taste and see that the Lord is
good.” The Lord is good, but you might never recognize it if you
don’t slow down and see His blessings.
This past month I had the great opportunity to spend some
time in Haiti. Despite the widespread
“poverty”, poor living conditions, and shortage of food, it was clear that I
could learn a few things from the way Haitians live. With life stripped down to mere necessities, life
itself just moves slower. It is
chewed slowly. Without a
lavish American-type lifestyle with all its idols and worthless pursuits,
people in Haiti live with a clear awareness of God’s provision for their most
basic needs. As a result, there
worship is incredibly passionate and heart-felt.
When is the last time you slowed down long enough to take
stock of what you have been blessed with?
Sometimes God’s goodness and blessings are incredibly obvious but we are
either too busy or distracted to notice.
You have to chew your food to enjoy its flavor and you have to dwell in
Christ to see His goodness. An
attitude of praise and thankfulness for Christ is then the only appropriate
response, to His Glory. -SH
No comments:
Post a Comment