"Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent." Revelation 3:19
I was doing nightly devotions with my two oldest kids this weekend and one of my children asked why I discipline them. I found the question to be timely because I had read recently from Proverbs 29:15, which says, "The rod and reproof give wisdom, but a child left to himself brings shame to his mother." So I read this to my kids and told them their Father wants them to be wise and loves them far too much to leave them to figure out how to wisely navigate life on their own.
As you read your Bible today be reminded that God loves you. He knows what is best for you, which is why he corrects and disciplines you. If you are sensing His discipline right now I want to encourage you to respond with a zealousness for repentance. This means being passionate about repentance. Repentance is to turn away from that which is displeasing to God. It means to stop doing that for which we are being disciplined.
One of the reasons I love reading the Bible is because I find correction and discipline for my life there. A few verses prior to v. 19 the writer speaks of God's anger at our being lukewarm towards him. I was convicted by these corrective verses to pursue God more zealously than I had been doing. As a result I sought out God with a repentant heart. Thank the Lord for correcting our ways and disciplining us.
No comments:
Post a Comment