“Return, O Israel, to the Lord your God. Your sins have been your downfall. Take words with you and return to the Lord. Say to him: ‘Forgive all our sins and receive us graciously…” Hosea 14:1-2
I love to be “right”, all the time in fact, and with correct motivation, desiring to be “right” can be a good thing. In fact God encourages us to seek righteousness. But how do we know when our motivation to be “right” is, well right? One easy way is to see how we respond when we are in fact proved to be wrong.
My wife and I keep a small heater in our son’s room to keep him warm during the cold winter nights in the Laurel Highlands. The other night I checked the heater that she had turned on and quickly informed her that she had not adjusted the setting properly. Despite the insignificance of the apparent mishap, a small argument occurred over who was “right”. Feelings were hurt. An hour later I returned to the heater to find out that in fact she had done it correctly. I felt foolish and very sorry for what I had said, however, I did not say anything to her. I was too prideful to admit my mistake and as a result, our relationship suffered.
In the book of Hosea, the prophet is pointing out Israel’s destructive involvement in idols and false religions and calling for them to repent. Even though they knew they were wrong, sin was dragging the nation down and hurting their relationship with the Lord. Hosea encourages the people to “take works with you and return to the Lord.” Repentance requires verbal recognition to the person that has been wronged. Just being sorry is often not enough to mend the relationship.
It wasn’t until I admitted my fault to my wife were we able to move on. It was not easy and I realized that my desire to be right was motivated by selfishness and pride.
Are you like me sometimes? Is there someone you need to admit your faults to? A friend, brother, sister, parent or the Lord? Do as Hosea instructed and “take your words” to them. God will meet you with grace and forgiveness but only if you ask.