Sometimes in the summer, I like to go fishing. Fishing isn’t necessarily my thing, and
I absolutely hate taking the fish off the hook, but trying to get the fish to
bite and reeling it in is fun! Usually before I head out, I look into
the tackle box and find the prettiest looking lure I see. Probably not the best
fishing tactic, but don’t worry, someone always corrects me and chooses bait
that is fit for the fish I want to catch.
The Devil works similarly. Temptation isn’t the same for everyone. He knows how to
choose just the right bait to lure in his fish. He dangles the bait in front of us, makes it look harmless,
hiding the hook. We have a choice, swim away and live, or bite the bait and
die.
James 1: 12 says “…because
when they have stood the test, they will receive the crown of life…”
And it also says:
James 1:15 “Then,
after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full
grown, gives birth to death.”
Scripture is very clear on temptation. James tells us the God cannot be
tempted, nor does He tempt anyone.
Each of us little fish, are tempted by our own evil desires, which can drag us away and entice us. Once we give in, it breeds sin, which
leads to death. There’s always a death of some kind when it is done.
Think: What are some “deaths” that can result from
full-grown sin conceived out of our messed up desires?
Relationships?
Security? Self-worth?
Do not be fooled in to thinking that temptation doesn’t
affect you. The enemy knows how to lure and is the king of lies. He knows how
to use our own desires to bring us down.
The bait fits the fish.
Choose life this day.
Flee from temptation! And once you have stood the test, you will indeed
receive the crown of life you are promised. As James says earlier in the passage, “the testing of your faith produces
perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and
complete, not lacking anything.”
-JG

No comments:
Post a Comment