Welcome to the SB2W50 Blog

This blog is here for you, the Summer's Best Two Weeks camper, to continue to grow in Christ throughout the year. We invite you to join the G3 Revolution and compete to the glory of God. We hope that you will find the weekly devos, videos, and other posts helpful in staying strong in your faith the other 50 weeks out of the year. Remember "The Glory Goes to God".

Friday, September 21, 2012

No Longer A Foreigner


“Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and strangers, but fellow citizens with God’s people and also members of his household, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone.” Ephesians 2:19-20


I remember walking through the streets of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia while on a mission trip feeling completely out of place. I did not know the language, the culture, the people, where I was going or what street I was on. There was no comfort of knowing I could call 9-1-1 if I was in trouble, let alone any Ethiopian law enforcement willing to help me.  This experience has reminded me of just how thankful I am to be a citizen of the United States. Its something I don’t often think about, but nevertheless am very thankful for.  It is a privilege to be a citizen, and with it comes responsibility, loyalty and a sense of belonging. 


In Ephesians, Paul gives believers in Jesus Christ the privileged title of “citizens with God’s people.”  With this, Paul tries to give us a picture of the magnitude of grace and God’s love for His children. He has taken us from the foreigner state, adopted us and deemed us a citizen of His people. 

What I love about this passage is that it doesn’t stop at just merely citizen, as if that isn’t an honor enough, but it continues to identify us as a member of His household! This is an even more intimate connection with our Creator. Family always outranks other important relationships. A great example of this is found in a biography of Abraham Lincoln. The president was in an important meeting with his cabinet when there was a knock on the door. There stood his ten-year old son, Willie, wanting to see his Father.  President Lincoln left the crucial meeting to see what his son needed. Willie outranked every important person in that room.  This is the truth that Paul is eager to have us understand.  We have access to a Father who has so much authority and power, is completely just, and yet is so full of love and compassion.  And we are identified as one of His own!

All this is a result of the work that Jesus Christ did on the cross, and because of it, we now have a foundation (cornerstone) for our lives as believers.  May the Word of the Lord encourage you today as you remember your citizenship and identify yourself as a member of the Almighty God’s household! -JG

No comments:

Post a Comment